Phonemic awareness is the ability to hear and manipulate individual phonemes. A phoneme is the smallest unit of sound that can differentiate meaning. For example ball is broken down into three phonemes, /b/ /a/ /l/. Research has shown that phonemic awareness helps children with reading and spelling. Some useful links on the subject are listed below.
- Wikipedia Link on Phonemic Awareness
- SEDL: Importance of Phonemic Awareness and Learning to Read
- Reading Skills Pyramid
- Handouts for promoting Phonological and Phonemic Awareness
Below are some links to lists of books that build phonemic awareness.
- Reading Target : Phonemic Awareness List
- Book List: Rhyming, Alliteration, Phonemic Awareness
- Developing Phonemic Awareness: Books that Work!