Hope your summer or winter is grand. Hope your reading and/or writing is going splendid. I have been focusing more on my own writing and hence have had to cut back on doing book reviews. It is a struggle since there are so many wonderful books I want to tell you about, but have limited time. I do have a slew of books ready to talk about in the coming months.
Here is what I have been up to these past seven months.
- Completed a three-month PB mentorship with the amazing author Kathi Appelt. If you ever get a chance to study with her do it! Thank you WNDB for the opportunity.
- Attended two SCBWI conferences where I got to soak up on craft and network with agents/editors.
- Queried agents with my picture books, now just sitting back
(constantly checking email)for a response.
- Re-joined my in-person critique group. So now I have three fabulous critique groups.
- Started volunteering with the head librarian at my kids’ school. It’s been a lot of fun. I love, love booktalking and giving recommendations. So much fun finding that next awesome book.
- Finally setup by iPhone to listen to audiobooks from Audible and the local library. Absolutely loving it! I listen while driving to work, folding the laundry, and exercising on the elliptical. Now I stand a better chance of ‘reading’ more novels.
- Number six was important and driven by my next goal which is to write a historical fiction novel. I’m currently reading Mary Kole’s Writing Irresistible Kidlit, which is fantastic!!
- Currently participating in Kidlit Summer School – The Plot Thickens. The free-writes are helping me come up with possible scenes for the novel. The class is FREE!!
- Participated in RhyPiBoMo but flamed out. Don’t think rhyming is for me, at least not for now.
- Attended ALA Summer Conference in San Francisco. Check out my ALA album to see which authors I met.
Would love to hear how your reading and writing has been progressing!